• Today will be sunny, with a high temperature near 77 degrees and a northwest wind 5 to 7 miles per hour, becoming southwest in the afternoon. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 57. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 77 and Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 75 and a 30 percent chance of showers.
• Tomorrow is Car Free Day Long Island, an annual experiment in using public and alternative transportation — telecommuting included — to help reduce Long Island’s carbon footprint. Here’s more info on how to get involved.
• In this month’s installment of Dave’s Desk@Ditch, Beacon columnist Dave Davis reflects on how to live with the uncertainty that the pandemic has brought to all of our lives.
• Suffolk County reported 32 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Wednesday, with .6 percent of the 5,254 people tested testing positive. There are currently 29 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with nine of them in intensive care. The county reported no new Covid deaths, and the death toll here stands at 2,012.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss a proposal to move an 1855 blacksmith’s house from 331 East Main Street in order to build an apartment building there and several potential revisions to building permit and site plan fees, as well as the town’s August police report at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda, and the meeting can be viewed online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will hold a special meeting this morning at 10 a.m. for Town Supervisor Jay Schneiderman to present his 2021 budget, followed by an 11 a.m. work session at which they’ll discuss the Flying Point Beach Bathhouse Project.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:12 a.m., 4:47 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:20 a.m., 3:55 p.m.
Greenport: 4:49 a.m., 5:24 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:43 a.m., 6:08 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:44 a.m., 5:19 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:11 a.m., 6:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:18 a.m., 6:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:17 a.m., 3:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:26 a.m., 1:55 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:25 a.m., 5:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:33 a.m., 5:05 p.m.
Greenport: 6:02 a.m., 6:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:49 a.m., 7:14 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:57 a.m., 6:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:24 a.m., 7:56 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:31 a.m., 8:03 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:18 a.m., 4:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:27 a.m., 2:55 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.