• Today will be sunny, with a high near 29 degrees but wind chill values between zero and 10, with a northwest wind 18 to 26 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 36. We’re expecting increasing clouds overnight, with a low around 11. We’re expecting snow Saturday, mainly after 9 a.m., with a high near 37. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches is possible. Sunday will be mostly sunny, with the temperature falling to around 36 by 5 p.m.
• The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has awarded a $10.7 million contract to Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company for the placement of an estimated 600,000 cubic yards of sand just west of Shinnecock Inlet to restore this area to its 2005 authorization level, a 15-foot-high dune with an associated 140-foot-wide beach berm from the toe of the dune, after a series of storms damaged the beach this fall. Work is expected to begin by the first week of February 2020 and be completed before the end of March.
• The North Fork Community Theatre’s production of the Steve Martin play “Picasso at the Lapin Angle” opens this evening and runs through Feb. 2. More details are online here.
• The Southampton Arts Center hosts a free encore presentation of the film “2040,” about reversing the damage caused to the earth’s climate by carbon emissions, sponsored by Drawdown East End this evening at 7 p.m. More details are online here.
• Sylvester Manor Educational Farm kicks off its 2020 concert series with a performance by the powerhouse bluegrass band Damn Tall Buildings At Shelter Island High School Saturday evening, Jan. 18 at 7:30 p.m. More details are online here.
• The Southold Town Anti-Bias Task Force will hold its annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Celebration at the North Fork United Methodist Church this Sunday, Jan. 19 at 4 p.m. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:55 a.m., 3:18 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:03 a.m., 2:26 p.m.
Greenport: 3:32 a.m., 3:55 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:22 a.m., 4:50 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:27 a.m., 3:50 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:54 a.m., 5:17 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:01 a.m., 5:24 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:07 a.m., 2:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:16 a.m., 12:28 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:59 a.m., 4:25 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:07 a.m., 3:33 p.m.
Greenport: 4:36 a.m., 5:02 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:22 a.m., 5:54 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:31 a.m., 4:57 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:58 a.m., 6:24 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:05 a.m., 6:31 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:03 a.m., 3:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:12 a.m., 1:27 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.