Pictured Above: Officials celebrated the completion of the 28-unit Sandy Hollow Cove workforce housing project in Southampton on Monday morning. The transit-oriented development is located close to a new local bus stop and the Long Island Rail Road Southampton station, as well as a hospital, bank, library, pharmacy and grocery and the Tuckahoe School.

Good Morning!

• There’s a 30 percent chance of showers today, mainly before 7 a.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 68, with a northeast wind 11 to 13 miles per hour. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers after 1 a.m. overnight, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 52. There’s a 50 percent chance of rain Wednesday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 63. Thursday will be mostly cloudy and breezy, with a high near 63.

• The Southold Town Board will discuss drainage around Wolf Pit pond in Mattituck, Tasker Park playground updates and a Transportation Commission Recommendation to reduce the speed limit on Skunk Lane and Eugene’s Road at its 9 a.m. work session this morning. The board has a public hearing on requests for Community Development Block Grants on the agenda for its 4:30 p.m. meeting this afternoon. The full agenda for both meetings is online here.

• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss the town’s proposed 2020 budget and repaving of parking lots at its 10 a.m. meeting this morning at the Montauk Firehouse. The full agenda is online here.

• The Southampton Town Board will hold several public hearings on CPF land acquisitions at its 1 p.m. meeting this afternoon. The full agenda is online here.

• The Shelter Island Town Board will discuss New York State law changes regarding police, restrictions on Happy Groundhogs and fertigation of Goat Hill at its 1 p.m. work session this afternoon at town hall. The full agenda is online here.

• Now in its 27th season, the Hamptons International Film Festival’s Signature Programs this upcoming weekend are rounding out into a robust series of films on issues of great social, environmental and cultural importance. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

October 8
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:55 a.m., 7:16 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:03 a.m., 6:24 p.m.
Greenport: 7:32 a.m., 7:53 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:14 a.m., 8:36 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:27 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:54 a.m., 9:15 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:01 a.m., 9:22 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:44 a.m., 6:04 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:53 a.m., 4:13 p.m.

October 9
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:42 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:50 a.m., 7:09 p.m.
Greenport: 8:19 a.m., 8:38 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:04 a.m., 9:25 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:14 a.m., 8:33 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:41 a.m., 10 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:48 a.m., 10:07 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:40 a.m., 6:57 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:49 a.m., 5:06 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: