Pictured Above: The Nao Santa Maria, in Greenport for Columbus Day.
• Today will be sunny, with a high near 64 degrees and a north wind 5 to 10 miles per hour, becoming light west in the afternoon. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 41 and a southeast wind 3 to 6 miles per hour. We’re expecting rain Wednesday, mainly after 2 p.m., with a high temperature near 66 and a southeast wind 7 to 17 miles per hour. Thursday will be partly sunny and windy, with a high near 60.
• Stony Brook Southampton Hospital will hold its annual free flu-shot clinic for adults 18 years or older today from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. in its Parrish Memorial Hall. More details are online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss the Springs Hamlet Study, an Army Corps of Engineers proposal for Camp Hero in Montauk, the scope of a proposed Springs-Fireplace Road corridor study, cover crop legislation and the relocation of a Little League field at their 10 a.m. work session at town hall this morning.
• The League of Women Voters of the Hamptons is holding two South Fork candidate debates this week, in East Hampton Wednesday evening and in Southampton Thursday evening. More details are online here.
• While many school districts on the East End have seen enrollment shrink in recent years, as the demand for second homes has pushed up real estate prices and pushed residents of modest means further west, enrollment is booming in the Riverhead Central School District, which proposed a $100 million construction bond in mid-September. The school is holding three forums on the proposal in the upcoming weeks, beginning with one tomorrow evening. Our full story is online here.
• Southampton Town is preparing for a special vote on whether to incorporate a Village of East Quogue. The vote will be held this Thursday, Oct. 17, between the hours of noon and 9 p.m. at the East Quogue Elementary School, 6 Central Avenue, in East Quogue. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:31 a.m., 11:54 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:39 a.m., 11:02 p.m.
Greenport: 12:08 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:44 a.m., 12:55 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:03 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:14 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:21 a.m., 1:37 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:27 a.m., 10:50 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:36 a.m., 8:59 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:07 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:15 a.m., 11:43 p.m.
Greenport: 12:31 a.m., 12:44 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:22 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:26 a.m., 12:39 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:53 a.m., 2:06 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2 a.m., 2:13 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:58 a.m., 11:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:07 a.m., 9:35 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.