• Today will be sunny, with a high near 35 degrees and wind chill values between zero and 10, with a north wind 6 to 10 miles per hour. We’re expecting mostly clear skies tonight, with a low around 11. Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 36, and Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 42.
• Sunday morning may still be the most segregated hour in American life, as the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote in a fictional letter to Americans from the Apostle Paul in 1956, but the Sunday evening before the holiday commemorating Dr. King’s birthday is likely the least segregated hour in Southold Town. Our coverage of this year’s Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Celebration is online here.
• From this month’s “The Homestead” from Michael Daly: “After reading “Daring Democracy: Igniting Power, Meaning and Connection for the America We Want” by Frances Moore Lappe and Adam Eichen, I recognize this mess we’re currently in with wealth concentrated at the tippy-tippy-top of the food chain is a 50-year endeavor by the Exploitive Class.” Read more here.
• Former Riverhead Town Supervisor Laura Jens-Smith plans to announce her candidacy for New York State Assembly on the Democratic Party line this afternoon. We’ll have more details later today.
• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss the town’s capital projects and municipal parking lots in Amagansett at its 10 a.m. work session this morning at town hall. The Riverhead Town Board is also planning to hold a 10 a.m. work session this morning but its agenda had not been made public by the time we posted this.
• The Plastic Reduction & Elimination Project of the North Fork holds its first meeting of 2020 tomorrow evening at 6:30 p.m. at the Peconic Lane Community Center. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:54 a.m., 7:19 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:02 a.m., 6:27 p.m.
Greenport: 7:31 a.m., 7:56 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:19 a.m., 8:55 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:26 a.m., 7:51 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:53 a.m., 9:18 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9 a.m., 9:25 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:01 a.m., 6:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:10 a.m., 4:35 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:42 a.m., 8:06 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:50 a.m., 7:14 p.m.
Greenport: 8:19 a.m., 8:43 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:13 a.m., 9:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:14 a.m., 8:38 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:41 a.m., 10:05 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:48 a.m., 10:12 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:55 a.m., 7:20 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:04 a.m., 5:29 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.