• We’re expecting rain before 3 p.m, mixing with snow in the late afternoon and early evening, with highs in the mid-30s and little to no snow accumulation expected. Skies will begin to clear overnight, with a low around 29. Tuesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 42. We’re expecting rain and snow on Wednesday, with little or no snow accumulation expected and a high near 38.
• The Southold Town Board is likely to put a proposal for a moratorium on battery energy storage facilities up for a public hearing in February, said board members at their Jan. 17 work session. The moratorium would be designed to give the town a chance to develop siting and safety guidelines for the facilities. Read More.
• The East Hampton Lions Club hosts a New York Blood Center blood drive today from 11:45 a.m. to 7:45 p.m. at the Amagansett American Legion, 15 Montauk Highway in Amagansett. Appointments are recommended and can be made online here.
• The Long Island Association holds a community forum on the new Peconic Bay Community Housing Fund and how it affects Long Island’s economy this coming Thursday, Jan. 26 at noon at the Sag Harbor Cinema. Among the speakers are New York State Assemblyman Fred Thiele and New York State Senator Anthony Palumbo. To attend, register online here.
• The Orient Association holds a forum on Coastal Resilience and Sea-Level Rise with guest speaker Elizabeth Hornstein this Saturday, Jan. 28 at 10 a.m. at Poquatuck Hall. All are welcome to attend. Masks are encouraged.
• This weekend on Behind The Headlines on 88.3 WLIW-FM, Beacon editor Beth Young joined a panel discussing the upcoming East Hampton Town election; the Southampton Village Police Chief appointment; efforts to save the ospreys; feral cats at Sagg Main Beach; and the Wainscott commercial center. You can still tune in online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:40 a.m., 11:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:48 a.m., 10:16 p.m.
Greenport: 11:17 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:16 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:12 a.m., 11:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:12 a.m., 12:39 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:19 a.m., 12:46 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:56 a.m., 10:27 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:05 a.m., 8:36 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:33 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:41 a.m., 11:11 p.m.
Greenport: 12:10 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:46 a.m., 1:08 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:05 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:07 a.m., 1:32 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:14 a.m., 1:39 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:48 a.m., 11:21 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:57 a.m., 9:30 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.