Good Morning!

• There’s a 20 percent chance of showers before 2 p.m. today, but otherwise we’re expecting increasing clouds, with a high temperature near 74 degrees and a light south wind, increasing to 6 to 11 miles per hour in the morning. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers overnight, with thunderstorms also possible after 2 a.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 65. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers Friday, with thunderstorms also possible after 2 p.m., with skies clearing throughout the day and a high near 85. Saturday will be mostly sunny and breezy, with a high near 72.

• The North Fork Civics, a coalition of civic groups from the hamlets of Southold Town, is asking residents to answer a survey to determine their most pressing concerns about the future of the town. Here’s the survey.

• Riverhead Town will host its quarterly Water Forum on June 22 at 6 p.m. at Town Hall. The goal of the Water Forum is to communicate and share information and ideas to best address, remedy, or implement measures to provide clean safe drinking water to all our residents, minimize loss and waste of water, and maximize efficient and effective development of the town’s public water supply system. All are welcome.

• The Southampton Town Board will discuss the redevelopment of the Canoe Place Inn and its surrounding residential development, as well as a draft solar code and energy efficiency outreach program at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda, and the meeting can be viewed live on SEA-TV.

• The East Hampton Town Board holds public hearings on a CPF acquisition and a grant of scenic easement at its 11 a.m. meeting this morning. Here’s the agenda, and the meeting can be viewed live on LTV’s YouTube channel.

• The Church at 48 Madison Street in Sag Harbor hosts “Behind the Work: The Jazz Continuum” in partnership with Guild Hall, this evening at 6 p.m. It’s an in-depth conversation with dancer, choreographer, educator, and tradition-bearer of Black American Social Dance LaTasha Barnes, whose most recent project, The Jazz Continuum, will premiere at the Joyce Theatre in Fall 2022. Tickets are $15 and are available at

• The North Fork Environmental Council is holding four “Kayak What’s Left” kayaking and shorebird sighting fundraisers beginning this weekend, on Saturdays June 18, July 16, Aug. 27 and Sept. 17 at 8 a.m. at the Eagle’s Neck paddling booth at Orient Beach State Park. The trips take approximately two hours, and cost $45 per person or $40 for members, which includes kayak, paddle and life jacket, or $25 per person if you bring your own equipment. Checks can be sent to: North Fork Environmental Council, P.O. Box 799, Mattituck, NY 11952 to reserve your spot, or email to RSVP. Also be prepared to pay a $10 per car entrance fee at Orient State Park. For more information, call 631.298.8880.

Today’s high tides on the East End are as follows:

June 16
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:02 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:10 a.m., 11:32 p.m.
Greenport: 12:04 a.m., 12:39 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:02 a.m., 1:42 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:34 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:26 a.m., 2:01 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:33 a.m., 2:08 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:19 a.m., 11:39 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:28 a.m., 9:48 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: