• Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 46 but wind chill values between 25 and 35 early, with a southwest wind 5 to 13 miles per hour. We’re expecting rain overnight, with a steady temperature around 41. Rain will continue Saturday, with a high near 46 and an east wind 9 to 15 miles per hour. Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 46.
• As Southampton Town weighs whether to turn over the Hampton Bays Water District to the Suffolk County Water Authority, the town is seeking input on the decision in a survey mailed to Hampton Bays residents. The town is also considering holding a public referendum on the proposal. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The North Fork Community Theatre’s annual Variety Show opens tonight at 8 p.m. and continues through Sunday at the Jamesport Meeting House. More details are online here.
• The Flanders Fire Department at 19 Firehouse Lane in Flanders will hold a community blood drive tomorrow, Saturday, Jan. 5 from 1 to 7 p.m. All members of the community who can give blood are urged to attend.
• The Southampton Town Democratic Club’s first breakfast meeting of 2019 will be held on Saturday, Jan. 5 from 10 a.m. to Noon at Page, 63 Main, Sag Harbor. The public is invited. Guest speaker Glenn Weinberg of Joule Assets will discuss “Power for the People: Good for Us & Good for the Environment” on the successful Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) energy purchasing program pioneered in Westchester and currently under consideration by the Southampton Town Board. To reserve, go to email@example.com or call Club President Joy Flynn at 631.470.6121. Tickets are $21 for club members; $26 for non-members; $15 for youth or registered student.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:23 a.m., 8:47 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:31 a.m., 7:55 p.m.
Greenport: 9 a.m., 9:24 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:56 a.m., 10:27 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:55 a.m., 9:19 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:22 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:29 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:37 a.m., 7:59 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:46 a.m., 6:08 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:05 a.m., 9:29 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:13 a.m., 8:37 p.m.
Greenport: 9:42 a.m., 10:06 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:39 a.m., 11:09 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:37 a.m., 10:01 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:04 a.m., 11:28 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:11 a.m., 11:35 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:19 a.m., 8:42 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:28 a.m., 6:51 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.