• Today is going to be frigid. We’re looking at sunny, with a high near 30 degrees, but wind chill values between zero and 10 due to the north wind hitting us at 10 to 16 miles per hour. Tonight is expected to be clear, with a low around 11 degrees. Tomorrow will be sunny, with a high near 41, but wind chill values between 5 and 15 miles per hour due to a west wind ranging from five to 13 miles per hour. Thursday is expected to be mostly sunny, with a high near 44 degrees.
• The Cutchogue and Mattituck fire departments rescued three boaters stranded on the sandbar on the north side of Robins Island in New Suffolk Sunday night, two of whom were suffering from hypothermia. The full story is in The Peconic Bathtub here.
• South Fork towns are combining their swearing-in ceremonies with their town board meetings today. Southampton Town will hold a ceremony to swear in board members at noon in the main town meeting room, just before their 1 p.m. organizational meeting. East Hampton Town will hold a swearing-in ceremony before their organizational meeting at 10 a.m. on in the town hall meeting room.
• The Riverhead Town Board will hold a public hearing at their 2 p.m. meeting this afternoon on parking restrictions in downtown Riverhead along the Peconic River. The proposal would limit parking to three hours between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. seven days a week in 60 parking stalls immediately behind Main Street businesses (the restriction is currently in effect Monday through Friday), and to limit parking to three hours between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. in the parking lot east of the Salvation Army. The full text of the proposal is online here.
• The Southold Town Board will hold an 11 a.m. organizational meeting and a 4:30 p.m. regular meeting today.
• The Shelter Island Town Board will discuss their 2016 priorities, the Association of Towns and Villages and membership on working committees at their 2 p.m. work session this afternoon. Their full agenda is online here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.