• We’re expecting rain today, mainly after 9 a.m., with a high near 50 degrees but wind chill values between 25 and 35 early, with a south wind 6 to 11 miles per hour, becoming southwest 13 to 18 miles per hour in the afternoon. There’s a 40 percent chance of rain tonight, mostly before midnight, with a low around 27. There’s a 20 percent chance of afternoon showers Friday, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 42. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 38, and New Year’s Day will be mostly sunny, with a high near 45.
• The folks who take care of the Jamesport Meeting House issue a New Year’s wish for improvements to the 275-year-old meeting house each year. Last year, they built a handicapped-accessible restroom, and this year they’re looking to install a new heating system, along with air conditioning for the first time in the building’s history. They’re accepting donations online here or by mail at Jamesport Meeting House, P.O. Box 330, Jamesport, NY 11947.
• Southold Town has announced they will host a public forum on alternative onsite wastewater treatment systems on Jan. 12 at 7 p.m. in the town hall meeting room. Experts will be on-hand to answer questions from the public, and all are welcome to attend.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss an excavation permit for the Wellness Center of Ostrander and the Peconic Bay Medical Center at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board’s work session for today has been cancelled.
• Trails groups throughout the East End have New Years’ hikes in the works over the weekend. Find the details online here.
• The Morning Bulletin is taking a long holiday weekend beginning tomorrow. We’ll return Monday to greet the fresh new year. Have a safe and happy New Year, and if you are not yet a subscriber to our Week In Review, you can sign up here for our year-end special edition New Year’s morning and for a new free Sunday edition each week throughout the year.
The high tides on the East End for today are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 8:52 a.m., 9:21 p.m.
Orient: 9:53 a.m., 10:22 p.m.
Greenport: 10:21 a.m., 10:50 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 10:16 a.m., 10:45 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 11:43 a.m.
S. JPT: 11:50 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:56 a.m., 7:19 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.