• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 43 but ind chill values between 25 and 35, with a northwest wind 10 to 15 miles per hour. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 23. There’s a slight chance of snow early Thursday, turning to rain with a high near 44. Friday will be mostly sunny and breezy, with a high near 39.
• Superstorm Sandy is still leaving a mark on Flanders, where 24 houses have been purchased for demolition through New York Rising programs. Now, community groups are looking to adopt those lands. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• State Assemblyman Fred Thiele announced Tuesday that he has sent a letter to Governor Andrew Cuomo asking that the state declare an “SBA agency-level special disaster declaration” for the Dec. 16 fire that destroyed several Main Street businesses in Sag Harbor and hampered the village’s business district in the last few shopping days before Christmas. The declaration would make village businesses eligible for low-interest loans through the U.S. Small Business Administration’s Disaster Recovery Program. The full text of the letter is online here.
• The Southampton Town Parks Department supervised the removal of a sunken 40-foot commercial fishing vessel at Shinnecock Commercial Fishing Dock on Friday Dec. 23. The boat had been abandoned and fallen into disrepair and ultimately started to sink in Shinnecock Harbor. The U.S. Coast Guard contracted with Miller Environmental and L.I. Crane to lift the boat by crane to the dock and remove any fluids. The boat was retrieved in one piece and placed in a containment area on the dock. The owner did not respond to numerous communications made by the Town Attorney’s office, but will be charged for the removal and back dockage fees.
• The Southampton Town Board’s work session for tomorrow has been cancelled.
• Trails groups throughout the East End have New Years’ hikes in the works over the weekend. Find the details online here.
MTK Hbr: 8:12 a.m., 8:39 p.m.
Orient: 9:13 a.m., 9:40 p.m.
Greenport: 9:41 a.m., 10:08 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 9:36 a.m., 10:03 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 11:03 a.m., 11:30 p.m.
S. JPT: 11:10 a.m., 11:37 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:19 a.m., 6:41 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 8:52 a.m., 9:21 p.m.
Orient: 9:53 a.m., 10:22 p.m.
Greenport: 10:21 a.m., 10:50 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 10:16 a.m., 10:45 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 11:43 a.m.
S. JPT: 11:50 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:56 a.m., 7:19 p.m.