This Morning’s Bulletin — 7.19.21
• There’s a 20 percent chance of showers throughout the day today, with thunderstorms possible this afternoon, with mostly cloudy skies, a high near 78 and a southwest wind 5 to 10 miles per hour, becoming northwest in the afternoon. It will be mostly cloudy during the early evening, then gradually clearing, with an overnight low around 65. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 87. Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 86 and a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 3 p.m.
• If you grow zucchini, you know that they produce the most beautiful orange blossoms this time of year. What you may not know is that they are a wonderful delicacy. You can fry or bake them with a variety of delicious stuffing, from cheese to meat. Our Peconic Dish columnist, Alison Boyd-Savage writes this month about all the great ways to prepare squash blossoms.
• Beacon columnist Dave Davis talks this month about the entrepreneurial spirit that has come alive here locally since the pandemic in his column, Dave’s Desk@Ditch.
• The Popsicles perform a free concert of pop hits this evening at 6:30 p.m. at the Montauk Green, 742 Montauk Highway, Montauk.
• Suffolk County reported 75 new cases of Covid-19 on Friday, July 16, with 1.2 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 31 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with five of them in ICU. The county reported no new fatalities from the virus, and the death toll here stands at 3,407 people.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:57 a.m., 6:31 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:05 a.m., 5:39 p.m.
Greenport: 6:34 a.m., 7:08 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:27 a.m., 7:51 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:29 a.m., 7:03 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:56 a.m., 8:30 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:03 a.m., 8:37 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:48 a.m., 5:31 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:57 a.m., 3:40 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:58 a.m., 7:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:06 a.m., 6:35 p.m.
Greenport: 7:35 a.m., 8:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:29 a.m., 8:51 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:30 a.m., 7:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:57 a.m., 9:26 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:04 a.m., 9:33 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:55 a.m., 6:34 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:04 a.m., 4:43 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.