This Morning’s Bulletin — 1.7.19
• We’re expecting increasing clouds throughout the day today, with a high near 33 degrees but wind chill values between 5 and 15, with a north wind 6 to 16 miles per hour. There’s a chance of rain, snow, and sleet between 1 and 3 a.m., then a chance of rain after 3 a.m. overnight, with a temperature falling to near 26 by 8 p.m., then rising to around 36 during the remainder of the night. We’re expecting rain on Tuesday, mainly before 1 p.m., with a high near 48. Wednesday will be partly sunny and breezy, with a high near 43.
• Bat populations across eastern North America have been devastated in recent years by a fungal infection known as White Nose Syndrome, but the East End may hold answers to what makes bat colonies resistant to this epidemic. Read The Beacon’s exclusive story, online here.
• The Southampton Arts Center and Rogers Memorial Library are partnering this winter for a community discussion of Paul Hawken’s book, “Drawdown,” which is billed as “the most comprehensive plan ever proposed to reverse global warming.” The discussion begins this Wednesday. More details are online here.
• The Southold Historical Society is partnering with Peconic Landing in Greenport on a Winter Lecture Series, which kicks off tomorrow, Jan. 8 at 4 p.m. with a talk on “The Art of the Eel” by Stephen N. Sanfilippo, who holds a Ph.D. in History. It promises to be an eclectic presentation on the history of eel fishing, to be accompanied by music and poetry. More details are online here. [Free]
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:30 am., 10:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:38 a.m., 10:05 p.m.
Greenport: 11:07 a.m., 11:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:59 a.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:02 a.m., 11:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:12 a.m., 12:29 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:19 a.m., 12:36 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:38 a.m., 10:05 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:47 a.m., 8:14 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:14 a.m., 11:43 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:22 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
Greenport: 11:51 a.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:27 a.m., 12:38 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:46 a.m.
New Suffolk: 12:56 a.m., 1:13 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:03 a.m., 1:20 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:17 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:26 a.m., 8:55 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.