• Today will be sunny, with a high near 69 degrees and a west wind 5 to 8 miles per hour. It will be clear overnight, with a low around 44. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 72, and Friday will be sunny, with a high near 69.
• Southampton Town Supervisor Jay Schneiderman has decided, after further consideration, to reschedule this Thursday’s Special Meeting of the Town Board to Nov. 13 at 6 p.m. at the East Quogue School. The meeting had been scheduled in order to hold a public hearing on the creation of the Hills at East Quogue Planned Development District, but the hearing cannot be held because the neighbors of the property did not receive proper announcement of the hearing, as required by law.
• Community organizations throughout Riverside, Flanders and Riverhead came together over the past few weeks to provide the kids at Southampton Head Start in Riverside with play equipment and art supplies. Read The Beacon’s full story online here.
• For Halloween, our columnist Tim Kelly admits his darkest secret — He has a crush on J.K. Rowling. Read his October column online here.
• To help address the growing number of heroin and prescription pain medication overdoses, Suffolk County Legislator Al Krupski is organizing a Narcan Training Class for Monday, Oct. 30 at 6:30 p.m. at the Cornell Extension building at 423 Griffing Ave Riverhead. Registration is required, and there is a maximum of 50 participants in each class. Register by calling 631.852.3200 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
• Father Patrick Edwards will give a talk in the influence religion has had on our system of government titled “When Church and State Were the State” tomorrow morning, Oct. 19, at 11 a.m. at the Southampton Historical Museum. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:15 a.m., 9:39 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:23 a.m., 8:47 p.m.
Greenport: 9:52 a.m., 10:16 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:55 a.m., 11:19 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:47 a.m., 10:11 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:14 a.m., 11:38 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:21 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:47 a.m., 7:02 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:57 a.m., 10:21 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:05 a.m., 9:29 p.m.
Greenport: 10:34 a.m., 10:58 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:37 a.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:29 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:56 a.m.
South Jamesport: 12:03 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:29 a.m., 7:44 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.