• We’re expecting increasing clouds throughout the day today, with a 20 percent chance of showers after 3 p.m., a high temperature near 61 degrees and a northwest wind around 14 miles per hour. It will b partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 43. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 66 and Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 72.
• The East Marion Community Association and Orient Association will hold a Zoom candidate forum with Southold Town Trustee candidates this evening at 6 p.m. at this link and The League of Women Voters of the Hamptons, Shelter Island and North Fork will hold a Zoom debate for the South Fork’s seat on the Suffolk County Legislature this evening at 7 p.m., which will be broadcast live on Sea-TV’s YouTube channel.
• In this month’s Climate Local Now, Mark Haubner tells two harrowing stories of his interactions with white-tailed deer, and how their overabundance here is a sign that nature is out of balance. Read More.
• The North Fork Environmental Council will hold a Zoom forum on “Getting to Zero Waste” this Wednesday, Oct. 20 at 6:30 p.m. Topics for discussion range from repair centers to food waste-to-compost efforts and other innovative ideas that could be implemented here. To register and receive the Zoom link, email email@example.com using “Zero Waste” in the subject line.
• Suffolk County reported 359 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, Oct. 16, with 2.7 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 148 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 30 of them in ICU. The county reported five new deaths from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 3,590 people.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:52 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8 a.m., 8:20 p.m.
Greenport: 9:29 a.m., 9:49 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:28 a.m., 10:52 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:24 a.m., 9:44 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:51 a.m., 11:11 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:58 a.m., 11:18 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:10 a.m., 8:25 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:19 a.m., 6:34 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:31 a.m., 9:52 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:39 a.m., 9 p.m.
Greenport: 10:08 a.m., 10:29 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:09 a.m., 11:34 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:03 a.m., 10:24 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:30 a.m., 11:51 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:37 a.m., 11:58 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:52 a.m., 9:07 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:01 a.m., 7:16 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.