• We’re expecting periods of rain throughout the day today, mainly after 11 a.m., with a high temperature near 58 and a northeast wind 13 to 18 miles per hour. We’re also expecting periods of rain overnight, with a low around 55. We’re expecting scattered showers before 8 a.m. Friday, with skies clearing, gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 65. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 63.
• This year’s Southold Town Board elections have pitted incumbent Republicans against a new crew of Democrats who believe the current town board isn’t keeping up with the pace of change on the North Fork. The Beacon’s coverage of this year’s first Southold candidate forum is online here.
• It was dawn on a Monday in mid-September when Beacon staffers embarked on a mission to try out a new bikeshare system being organized by Suffolk County in three South Shore towns. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will hold a special meeting this morning at 10 a.m. to convert the town supervisor’s budget to a tentative budget and set a public hearing on it for Tuesday, Oct. 22 at 6 p.m. At 10:30 a.m. they will discuss council member projects and the Oct. 8 draft agenda at their regularly scheduled work session.
• The Riverhead Town Board’s work session for this morning has been cancelled.
• The East Hampton Town Board will hold public hearings on changes to its sanitary system incentive program, on the town’s five-year plan and on a grant of scenic and conservation easement at its 6:30 p.m. meeting this evening. Their full agenda is online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:43 a.m., 2:10 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:51 a.m., 1:18 p.m.
Greenport: 2:20 a.m., 2:47 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:19 a.m., 3:40 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:15 a.m., 2:42 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:42 a.m., 4:09 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:49 a.m., 4:16 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:57 a.m., 1:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:35 a.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:41 a.m., 3:10 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:49 a.m., 2:18 p.m.
Greenport: 3:18 a.m., 3:47 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:16 a.m., 4:37 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:13 a.m., 3:42 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:40 a.m., 5:09 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:47 a.m., 5:16 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:54 a.m., 2:21 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:03 a.m., 12:30 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.