• There’s a 50 percent chance of showers today, with mostly cloudy skies, a high near 62 and a northeast wind around 23 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 33. There’s a 40 percent chance of rain overnight, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 52. There’s a 40 percent chance of rain Thursday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 63. There’s a 40 percent chance of rain Friday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 64.
• Early voting for the Nov. 5 general election is coming to the East End later this month. Get the details online here.
• The League of Women Voters of the Hamptons has two debates scheduled for South Fork town offices this October. More details are online here.
• The Alzheimer’s Association will be conducting a three-part series on “Understanding Alzheimer’s and Dementia” on Fridays Oct. 18, Oct. 25 and Nov. 1 at The East Hampton Library at 1 p.m., through funding provided by a grant from the New York State Department of Health. More details are online here.
• Long Islanders lucky enough to live near the ocean, a bay or Long Island Sound know that their good fortune could change at a moment’s notice in the face of a catastrophic storm. Many homeowners who worry about how their dwellings will hold up during extreme weather also stress out over their gardens. Our Gardenwise columnist, Susan Tito, has some tips this month for making your coastal garden storm-ready.
• The Custer Institute Observatory in Southold will play host to an innovative solo viola concert of works by a Jewish composer whose work was dramatically altered by Nazi Germany, “The Raphael Project,” this Saturday. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:22 a.m., 8:41 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:30 a.m., 7:49 p.m.
Greenport: 8:59 a.m., 9:18 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:50 a.m., 10:10 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:54 a.m., 9:13 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:21 a.m., 10:40 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:28 a.m., 10:47 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:29 a.m., 7:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:38 a.m., 5:52 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:01 a.m., 9:19 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:09 a.m., 8:27 p.m.
Greenport: 9:38 a.m., 9:56 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:31 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:33 a.m., 9:51 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11 a.m., 11:18 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:07 a.m., 11:25 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:11 a.m., 8:25 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:20 a.m., 6:34 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.