• It will be sunny today, with a high temperature near 60 degrees and a northwest wind 9 to 16 miles per hour. We’re expecting increasing clouds overnight, with a low around 41. Tuesday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 56 and Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 54.
• Today is the official start of a Peconic Bay scallop season that is expected to be a bust, but heavy rainfall the past week has prompted a temporary closure of much of our local bays to shellfishing anyway until the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation determines the waters are safe. For more details, call the DEC’s Temporary Shellfish Closure hotline at 631.444.0480.
• On the bright side, ospreys have made a dramatic comeback on the East End in recent years, with nearly 600 birds fledging from nests here this fall. In fact, it’s been such a dramatic increase that Group for the East End biologist Steve Biasetti says the population is “fully recovered.” Read More.
• Election Day is tomorrow — read up on our coverage of local elections here before heading to the polls.
• Suffolk County reported 268 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, Oct. 30, with 2.3 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 141 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 38 of them in ICU. The county reported one new fatality from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 3,631 people. As of Saturday, 66.5 percent of the total population of Suffolk had received their full series Covid-19 vaccinations, with 77.8 percent of people ages 12 and up completing their vaccinations.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:40 a.m., 7:56 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:48 a.m., 7:04 p.m.
Greenport: 8:17 a.m., 8:33 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:58 a.m., 9:20 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:12 a.m., 8:28 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:39 a.m., 9:55 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:46 a.m., 10:02 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:38 a.m., 6:47 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:47 a.m., 4:56 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:19 a.m., 8:38 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:27 a.m., 7:46 p.m.
Greenport: 8:56 a.m., 9:15 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:45 a.m., 10:10 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:51 a.m., 9:10 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:18 a.m., 10:37 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:25 a.m., 10:44 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:27 a.m., 7:40 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:36 a.m., 5:49 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.