• We’re expecting areas of frost before 9 a.m. today, with increasing clouds and a high temperature near 52 degrees, with a calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 9 miles per hour in the afternoon. Skies will clear overnight, with a low around 39. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 59, and Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 63 and a south wind 7 to 15 miles per hour, with a 20 percent chance of rain after 1 p.m.
• East Hampton Town’s union workers and the East Hampton Town Board have ratified a new union contract “that provides for significant increases in employee wages and longevity payments,” the town announced on Tuesday after the contract was approved by the Town Board at its weekly work session. The new agreement, reached prior to the Dec. 31, 2023 expiration of the current contract, will cover the years 2024 through 2027. CSEA members will see a $2,000 across-the-board increase to their base wages in 2024, on top of a $3,000 base wage hike implemented this year. The union members’ new base wages will increase by 4 percent annually in the first three years of the contract, and by 5 percent in the contract’s final year, 2027. The Civil Service Employees Association approved the contract on Nov. 9 with a vote of 114-15.
• “We human beings all think there is something to accomplish, something to realize, some place we have to get to. And this very illusion, which is born out of having a human mind, is the problem.” This is a passage from the classic book by American Zen teacher Charlotte Jocko Beck titled “Everyday Zen: Love and Work.” It’s one of several publications columnist Dave Davis has come to rely upon over the years, when seeking some additional guidance during transitional periods. Read More.
• The Riverhead Town Board holds a special meeting at 11:30 a.m. today to adopt the town’s 2024 budget, along with a resolution authorizing the town to override the 2 percent New York State tax levy cap — Riverhead’s $69.4 million budget would include a 4.86 percent tax levy increase.
• The Suffolk in Riverhead continues its Blockbuster Movie Series this evening with “Barbie” at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 and are available at thesuffolk.org.
• VSOP’s Very Special pop-up gallery, which is winding down for the season at 200 Main Street in Greenport, will hold an Artists & Collectors Swap-Up this Saturday, Nov. 18 from noon to 5 p.m. Moving blankets will patchwork the space, and a select group of local artists, experts, makers, and collectors, will present artworks, vintage items, books, ephemera, farm goods, and performative and interactive works. Visitors are invited to shop and are also encouraged to bring along items that they might like to swap at this event, which is part maker’s market, part performance, a farm stand, a studio sale and a swap meet.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:36 a.m., 11:12 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:44 a.m., 10:20 p.m.
Greenport: 11:13a.m., 11:49 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:02 a.m., 12:08 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:08 a.m., 11:44 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:26 a.m., 12:35 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:33 a.m., 12:42 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:41 a.m., 10:09 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:50 a.m., 8:18 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:23 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:31 a.m., 11:09 p.m.
Greenport: Noon 12:47 a.m., 12:54 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:47 a.m., 12:54 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:55 a.m.
New Suffolk: 1:11 a.m., 1:22 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:18 a.m., 1:29 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:26 a.m., 11:01 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:35 a.m., 9:10 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.