• We’re expecting rain today, with a high temperature near 42 degrees but wind chill values between 25 and 35, with a northeast wind 13 to 17 miles per hour. We’re expecting between a quarter and half an inch of rain. Rain will continue this evening, tapering off by around 11 p.m., with the temperature falling to 27 overnight. Wednesday will be mostly sunny and breezy, with a high near 39 degrees but wind chill values between 15 and 25, with a 20 percent chance of evening snow showers. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 29.
• Greenport School District voters go to the polls today from 2 to 8 p.m. to vote on a $17 million bond proposal for educational and facilities upgrades at the school. More details are online here.
• The Southold Town Board will discuss a possible food waste composting program, the cost for edits to the town’s Comprehensive Plan, a Feb. 29 housing forum, a downtown revitalization grant for Silversmith’s Corner across from the IGA in Southold and a civil service exam seminar on Feb. 12 at its 9 a.m. work session this morning. The board has no public hearings scheduled for its 4:30 p.m. regular meeting. The full agenda for both meetings is online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss music permit legislation, new New York State Discovery rules for court proceedings, and, tentatively, the scope of the Springs-Fireplace Road Corridor Study at their 10 a.m. work session this morning at town hall. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board’s regular town board meeting will be held this Thursday at 11 a.m.
• As the holiday season approaches in the U.K., the store shelves are stacked high with mince pies. If you visit a British household in December you will likely be offered a cup of tea, or something stronger, together with a mince pie or two. Our Peconic Dish columnist, Alison Boyd, has mastered the art of the mince pie, which she shares with us this month.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:18 a.m., 1:34 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:26 a.m., 12:42 p.m.
Greenport: 1:55 a.m., 2:11 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:50 a.m., 3:07 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:50 a.m., 2:06 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:17 a.m., 3:33 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:24 a.m., 3:40 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:33 a.m., 12:42 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:51 a.m., 11:41 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:17 a.m., 2:36 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:25 a.m., 1:44 p.m.
Greenport: 2:54 a.m., 3:13 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:47 a.m., 4:08 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:49 a.m., 3:08 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:16 a.m., 4:35 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:23 a.m., 4:42 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:32 a.m., 1:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:50 a.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.