• There’s a 20 percent chance of light rain before 10 a.m. today, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 42 and a calm wind becoming northwest around 6 miles per hour. There’s a 20 percent chance of snow showers after 1 a.m. overnight, with a low around 32. There’s a 20 percent chance of snow showers before noon Tuesday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 43. Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 40.
• Oyster aquaculture has been booming on the East End for the past several years, and this is no accident. It’s in large part due to the success of the Suffolk County Aquaculture Lease Program, also known as SCALP, which grants shellfish farmers the use of 10-acre plots throughout the Peconic Estuary. The program, in place for a decade now, is undergoing a review for changes to regulations for the upcoming decade. Read our full story.
• Suffolk County reported 1,145 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Sunday, with 7.3 percent of the people tested testing positive. There are currently 527 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 83 of them in ICU. The county reported nine new fatalities from Covid, bringing the death toll here to 2,172.
• Here’s a secret link for readers of the Morning Bulletin to get half off our a subscription to our monthly print edition for a limited time — that’s just $10 to support our independent local journalism. (It makes a great gift, as well!)
• Last Tuesday, the Southold Town Board finally held its first public discussion of the New Suffolk parking study released this past spring. It took place over Zoom and only three residents spoke, though the traffic study had been all the talk on the streets in New Suffolk for several weeks. Here’s our full story.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:51 a.m., 3:11 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:59 a.m., 2:19 p.m.
Greenport: 3:28 a.m., 3:48 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:15 a.m., 4:39 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:23 a.m., 3:43 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:50 a.m., 5:10 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:57 a.m., 5:17 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:01 a.m., 2:12 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:10 a.m., 12:21 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:51 a.m., 4:11 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:59 a.m., 3:19 p.m.
Greenport: 4:28 a.m., 4:48 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:10 a.m., 5:36 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:23 a.m., 4:43 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:50 a.m., 6:10 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:57 a.m., 6:17 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:50 a.m., 3:02 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:59 a.m., 1:11 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.