• Today will be sunny, with a high near 41 degrees but wind chill values between 20 and 30, with a northwest wind 5 to 9 miles per hour, becoming calm in the afternoon. We’re expecting increasing clouds this evening, with the temperature rising to around 44 by 4 a.m. Christmas Eve will be cloudy, with a high near 58 degrees and a south wind 11 to 16 miles per hour, increasing to 18 to 23 in the afternoon. There’s a 20 percent chance of rain after noon. We’re expecting rain and wind on Christmas, mainly before noon, with the temperature falling to around 39 by 5 p.m.
• As the two approved Covid-19 vaccines begin to be distributed more widely to the community in the coming weeks, health care leaders and elected officials are urging members of the public to take the shots. Read our full story.
• Suffolk County reported 1,034 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Tuesday, with 7.2 percent of people tested testing positive. There are currently 572 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 94 of them in ICU. The county reported 12 new deaths from the virus Tuesday, bringing the death toll here to 2,197.
• The Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center hosts a community blood drive this afternoon from 1 to 7 p.m. Appointments are preferred, online here.
• The Mattituck Presbyterian Church at 12605 Main Road in Mattituck is unable to hold Christmas Eve services tomorrow, but has instead put together a live Nativity Event outside the church, and is welcoming visitors from 2 to 4 p.m. They’re asking visitors to bring donations of canned food for the needy. Here’s more information.
• The Morning Bulletin will be taking the week off next week, but you will still find breaking news on our website throughout the week. We’ll see you again in the new year, and don’t forget, there’s still time to subscribe to our monthly print edition for just $10 per year using this special link.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:49 a.m., 5:09 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:57 a.m., 4:17 p.m.
Greenport: 5:26 a.m., 5:46 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:03 a.m., 6:32 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:21 a.m., 5:41 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:48 a.m., 7:08 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:55 a.m., 7:15 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:40 a.m., 3:53 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:49 a.m., 2:02 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:41 a.m., 6:01 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:49 a.m., 5:09 p.m.
Greenport: 6:18 a.m., 6:38 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:55 a.m., 7:26 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:13 a.m., 6:33 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:40 a.m., 8 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:47 a.m., 8:07 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:30 a.m., 4:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:39 a.m., 2:55 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.