This Morning’s Bulletin — 2.12.20
• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 42 degrees and a northwest wind 7 to 13 miles per hour, becoming southwest in the afternoon. We’re expecting rain overnight, mainly after midnight, with a steady temperature around 39. We’re expecting rain overnight tonight and into Thursday, with a high near 48. Friday will be mostly sunny and breezy, with the temperature rising to near 32 by 11 a.m., then falling to around 28 during the remainder of the day.
• Today marks the start of #iheartestuaries week, a social media campaign aimed at getting people out into the estuaries surrounding them and showing their love on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Read our Love Letter to the Peconic Estuary on our sister site, The Peconic Bathtub.
• Author Richie Jackson will discuss his new book, “Gay Like Me,” an open letter to his son, with CNN Anchor Don Lemon this Saturday at 4 p.m. at Bookhampton in East Hampton. Register for the talk online here.
• The North Fork Environmental Council hosts Laura Klahre, aka ‘The Bee Lady,’ for a talk about the importance of wild bees in our local environment next Friday, Feb. 21 at 6:30 p.m. at the Jamesport Meeting House. More details are online here.
• Community Action Southold Town and Cornell Cooperative Extension are hosting a six-week course called “Seed to Supper” at Greenport’s Floyd Memorial Library, with information on techniques for planning, planting, harvesting and cooking from a vegetable garden, beginning Monday, Feb. 24 at noon. More details are online here.
• The Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association has announced it will hold a forum on Monday, Feb. 24 on Dark Skies initiatives and Southold’s lighting code. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:04 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:12 a.m., 11:41 p.m.
Greenport: 12:17 a.m., 12:41 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:15 a.m., 1:38 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:12 a.m., 12:36 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:39 a.m., 2:03 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:46 a.m., 2:10 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:14 a.m., 11:52 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:23 a.m., 10:01 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:33 a.m., 12:56 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:04 p.m.
Greenport: 1:10 a.m., 1:33 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:06 a.m., 2:31 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:05 a.m., 1:28 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:32 a.m., 2:55 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:39 a.m., 3:02 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:08 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:17 a.m., 10:56 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.