• Today will be sunny, with a high near 34 degrees but wind chill values between zero and 10, with a north wind 7 to 15 miles per hour, becoming west in the afternoon. It will be clear overnight, with a steady temperature around 27. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 46 and Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 49.
• Two thirds of respondents to a recent poll conducted by Southampton Town said they’d like to see the distribution and release of helium-type balloons banned, according to the town, which released the results of the poll on Wednesday. Eighty-six percent of respondents said they believe releasing the balloons is a danger to the environment and wildlife. The town has not yet proposed legislation to ban these balloons, though its Sustainability Committee has recommended a ban.
• The Parrish Art Museum in Water Mill presents “Four Little Girls: Moving Portraits of the American Civil Rights Movement,” an exuberant dance performance by Edge School of the Arts set to an experimental film, tomorrow at 2 p.m. More details are online here.
• Sylvester Manor Educational Farm, in partnership with Eastville Community Historical Society, will present their Sixth Annual Black History Month Celebration this Sunday at Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor. More details are online here.
• Looking ahead to next week, the Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association will hold a forum on Monday, Feb. 24 on Dark Skies initiatives and Southold’s lighting code. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:15 a.m., 8:34 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:23 a.m., 7:42 p.m.
Greenport: 852 a.m., 9:11 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:48 a.m., 10:15 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:47 a.m., 9:06 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:14 a.m., 10:33 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:21 a.m., 10:40 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:26 a.m., 7:51 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:35 a.m., 6 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:57 a.m., 9:15 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:05 a.m., 8:23 p.m.
Greenport: 9:34 a.m., 9:52 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:32 a.m., 10:55 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:29 a.m., 9:47 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:56 a.m., 11:14 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:03 a.m., 11:21 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:09 a.m., 8:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:18 a.m., 6:42 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.