Pictured Above: Off Shinnecock, Monday afternoon
• We’re expecting light rain today, mainly after 3 p.m., with patchy afternoon fog and a high near 50 degrees. We’re expecting drizzle or light rain this evening, with a low around 38. There’s a 40 percent chance lf drizzle or light rain on Wednesday, with a high near 46. Skies are expected to clear on Thursday, with breezy skies and a high near 47.
• Those who knew B. Smith at the height of her career never could have dreamed that she could so quickly become the public face of a degenerative disease long thought to be found primarily among the elderly. But she approached even this demon with style and courage. Our tribute to the Sag Harbor restaurateur, who passed away over the weekend, is online here.
• The Southold Town Board will hear presentation from the town’s helicopter advisory committee and on a parking study in New Suffolk and updates on youth bureau programs and the implementation of the town’s Comprehensive Plan at its 9 a.m. work session this morning. The board is slated to hold one public hearing, on changes to the town’s property tax code to allow property tax exemption for veterans who are tenant -stakeholders in cooperative apartment corporations, at its 4:30 p.m. regular meeting this afternoon. The full agenda for both meetings is online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board is slated to hear capital project presentations from its police, IT, marine, and code enforcement departments at its 10 a.m. work session at town hall this morning.
• The Southampton Town Board is slated to discuss the acquisition of land that was a former Shinnecock Indian burial site in Shinnecock Hills through the Community Preservation Fund at its 6 p.m. meeting this evening, and advocates for Shinnecock burial rights are expected to urge the board to consider legislation protecting such sites from development, as is done in many other states throughout the U.S. The agenda for their meeting is online here.
• Tickets are still on sale for Community Action Southold Town’s annual Young at Heart dinner, to be held next Friday, Feb. 28 at the Greenport Harbor Brewing Company in Peconic. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:58 a.m., 11:19 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:06 a.m., 10:27 p.m.
Greenport: 11:35 a.m., 11:56 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:10 a.m., 12:28 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:30 a.m., 11:51 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:36 a.m., 12:57 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:43 a.m., 1:04 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:04 a.m., 10:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:13 a.m., 8:35 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:38 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:46 a.m., 11:08 p.m.
Greenport: 12:15 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:45 a.m., 1:05 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:10 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:18 a.m., 1:37 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:25 a.m., 1:44 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:41 a.m., 11:02 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:50 a.m., 9:11 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.