• There’s a 30 percent chance of snow today, mainly after 5 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 27, with wind chill values between 5 and 15. There’s a 60 percent chance of snow overnight, with a low around 24 and new snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible. There’s a 20 percent chance of snow before 9 a.m. Thursday, with skies gradually clearing and a high near 37. Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 39.
• East End Congressman Lee Zeldin voted “No” on a bill that passed the House of Representatives last night that would block President Donald Trump’s declaration of a national emergency at the U.S. border with Mexico. Mr. Zeldin said in a statement Tuesday that “unfortunately, some Members of Congress became suddenly opposed to increased funding to harden our physical border barrier just because they and their base hate the President. It’s disappointing many want to play political games instead of govern. It is important our country does a better job combating illegal immigration, transnational gangs like MS-13, drug trafficking, human trafficking, and arms trafficking.”
• The Southold Town Board unanimously enacted a six-month commercial building moratorium on a stretch of Route 25 in Mattituck Tuesday night. Our full story will be online later this morning.
• The Southold Republican Party has chosen incumbent Town Supervisor Scott Russell and board members Bill Ruland and Jill Doherty to run for re-election to the town board this year. Southold Democrats will pick their candidates tonight. We’ll have full details tomorrow.
• Our columnist Tim Kelly, once a demon on the hockey rink has taken up skating again after a hip replacement. And why not?
• Should the snow come down this evening, think ahead to this Sunda, when the Neo-Political Cowgirls bring their winter journey through the woods back to the Quogue Wildlife Refuge from 1 to 3 p.m. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:12 a.m., 4:47 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:20 a.m., 3:55 p.m.
Greenport: 4:49 a.m., 5:24 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:31 a.m., 6:10 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:44 a.m., 5:19 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:11 a.m., 6:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:18 a.m., 6:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:07 a.m., 3:32 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:16 a.m., 1:41 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:17 a.m., 5:50 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:25 a.m., 4:58 p.m.
Greenport: 5:54 a.m., 6:27 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:33 a.m., 7:11 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:49 a.m., 6:22 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:16 a.m., 7:49 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:23 a.m., 7:56 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance:4:04 a.m., 4:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:13 a.m., 2:42 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.