• There’s a 20 percent chance of showers before noon today, with a high near 58 degrees and a southwest wind 11 to 14 miles per hour becoming northwest in the afternoon. But don’t let the balmy weather fool you. We’re under a winter storm watch from midnight tonight until 6 p.m. tomorrow, and we’re expecting snow and sleet accumulation of 5 to 9 inches on Thursday, with the temperature falling to around 30 degrees by 4 p.m. and snow tapering off around 7 p.m. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 31.
• New York State’s Department of Environmental Conservation announced Monday that the state has adopted official sea-level rise projections to help state agencies and coastal communities plan for the impacts of climate change, becoming one of the first states in the nation to formalize sea level rise projections. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The federal agencies charged with the sale of Plum Island off the coast of Southold have filed a motion for a dismissal of a lawsuit filed by environmental groups last summer that alleged the federal government failed to examine possible conservation uses of the island. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• If the weather holds out tomorrow, the second installation of the Revolution #9 variety show comedy and music night at The Crazy Fork at Four Doors Down is slated to go on at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 9. There’s no cover charge, and more details are online here.
• We’ll have more details on snow closings later today and into tomorrow. Stay tuned here and on our Twitter feed.
• The Sag Harbor Fire Department will host a New York Blood Center blood drive this Friday, Feb. 10 from 2 to 8 p.m. at their main firehouse at 1357 Brick Kiln Road. All eligible blood donors are urged to attend.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 6:29 a.m., 6:49 p.m.
Orient: 7:30 a.m., 7:50 p.m.
Greenport: 7:58 a.m., 8:18 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 7:53 a.m., 8:13 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 9:20 a.m., 9:40 p.m.
S. JPT: 9:27 a.m., 9:47 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:39 a.m., 5:11 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 7:19 a.m., 7:39 p.m.
Orient: 8:20 a.m., 8:40 p.m.
Greenport: 8:48 a.m., 9:08 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 8:43 a.m., 9:03 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 10:10 a.m., 10:30 p.m.
S. JPT: 10:17 a.m., 10:37 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:34 a.m., 6:04 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.