• Scattered snow showers are in the forecast today, mainly after 11a.m., but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy and breezy, with a high near 32 and wind chill values between 10 and 20. Tonight will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 33 and Friday will be sunny, with a high near 37.
• With mild temperatures again this winter, foresters are bracing for another year of active southern pine beetle management here, and are now asking existential questions about the future of Long Island’s iconic pine barrens. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Southampton Town Supervisor Jay Schneiderman has asked the Flanders, Riverside & Northampton Community Association to weigh in on whether they’d like to see the Big Duck decorated for holidays, a question that was hotly debated at Monday evening’s FRNCA meeting. Currently, the duck is only decked out with a wreath for Christmas. You can weigh in on the conversation online here.
• East Hampton Town Supervisor Larry Cantwell will give a talk on the state of the town this evening, March 15 at 6 p.m. at the East Hampton Library as the first lecture of this year’s Tom Twomey lecture series. More details are online here.
• Our second installment of East End Faces, our roving reporter Gianna Volpe’s series of interviews with folks she meets out and about on the East End, features Paul and Linda Nuszen, owners of Southampton’s Windows & Walls Unlimited, who have just started a new non-profit in memory of their son. You can read the story online here.
• The East Marion Community Association will host Defend H2O President Kevin McAllister for his presentation, “Living on the Edge — What Will Climate Change Mean for the North Fork,” this Saturday, March 18 at 10 a.m. All are welcome to attend. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:12 a.m., 12:38 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 11:46 a.m.
Greenport: 12:49 a.m., 1:15 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:45 a.m., 2:10 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 12:44 a.m., 1:10 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:11 a.m., 2:37 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:18 a.m., 2:44 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:54 a.m., 10:20 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:56 a.m., 1:23 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 12:04 a.m., 12:31 p.m.
Greenport: 1:33 a.m., 2 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:25 a.m., 2:51 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 1:28 a.m., 1:55 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:55 a.m., 3:22 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:02 a.m., 3:29 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:36 a.m., 11:01 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.