• Rain is likely today, with areas of drizzle before 10am, then rain between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., followed by a chance of showers after 2 p.m. The high temperature will be near 51 degrees, with an east wind 10 to 13 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of rain overnight, with a low around 45. There’s a 50 percent chance of rain Tuesday, with a high near 56, and Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 52.
• While federal plans to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act were dead on arrival at the U.S. House of Representatives last week, New York advocates for health care reform are working on a state law that could drastically change the way health care is paid for in our state. Several advocates for the New York Health Care Act spoke to North Forkers about the proposal on March 23. Our full story is online here.
• The Ecological Culture Initiative, which launched a seed lending library at the Hampton Bays Library in mid-March, has big plans to turn Hampton Bays into a worldwide leader in the permaculture movement, encouraging food growers to work within the native environment, while also honoring the hamlet’s human history. Our full story is online here.
• Several South Fork human services agencies will sponsor the screening of the 45-minute, high school edition of “The Hunting Ground” this evening, March 27 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the East Hampton Library. More details are online here.
• This Wednesday, March 29 at 7:30 p.m., WPKN’s East End Ink will present Irish–born actress Kate Mueth, Southampton Press Editor Joseph Shaw and East End Beacon Editor Beth Young in Bloomsday, a tribute to James Joyce’s Ulysses. The program was recorded in June 2016 at Canios Books, Sag Harbor. WPKN is at 89.5 on the FM dial.
• The Beacon’s first-ever print edition hits newsstands next Saturday, April 1. To get it delivered directly to your mailbox, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:03 a.m., 10:22 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 9:11 a.m., 9:30 p.m.
Greenport: 10:40 a.m., 10:59 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:37 a.m., 11:57 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 10:35 a.m., 10:54 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:02 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:09 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:21 a.m., 7:42 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:46 a.m., 11:05 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 9:54 a.m., 10:13 p.m.
Greenport: 11:23 a.m., 11:42 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:22 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 11:18 a.m., 11:37 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:21 a.m., 12:45 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:28 a.m., 12:52 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:05 a.m., 8:25 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.