• The Mattituck-Laurel Library is hosting a poetry series titled “Every Voice Matters” on Tuesdays at 11 a.m. for four weeks beginning tomorrow. Librarian Jerry Matovcik will share spoken word poetry, the poetry of childhood, metaphor and gifts throughout the program, and attendees are welcome to bring poems to share. More information is online here.
• A skilled photojournalist who covers war is a master of capturing moments, freezing them in time, and packaging them to send them out so the rest of the world can see the horrors of war. But a photojournalist wounded in action cannot be so neatly packaged and sent back to the world she’s known. Hampton Theatre Company’s new production of “Time Stands Still,” which runs through Jan. 25, does an excellent job capturing just such a woman. The Beacon’s review is online here.
• The Blue Duck Bakery’s four locations in Southold, Riverhead, Southampton and Greenport will be holding a food drive in honor of the Martin Luther King Day of Service over the next couple weeks. From Jan. 19 through Jan. 31, they’ll be accepting food at the bakeries to be donated to local food banks. For more information, call 631.629.4123.
• Songwriter and musician Caroline Doctorow will be the guest performer at Live Music Mondays at Fresh Hampton in Bridgehampton tonight. Ms. Doctorow will be celebrating the release of “Raven Girl- A Retrospective, Volume One” (Narrow Lane), which traces her 25-year career as a folksinger, songwriter and record producer. The featured performance, which begins at 7 p.m., is followed by an open mic night. More information is online here.
• Birders throughout the East End will be counting waterfowl next week, as part of the annual New York Ornithological Association’s annual Waterfowl Survey. On Sat., Jan. 17, the South Fork Natural History Museum will host a day-long waterfowl count. On Tues., Jan. 20, Tom Damiani will meet with birders at the North Fork Audubon Society headquarters at Inlet Pond County Park to venture out for a morning of counting.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of this morning. To get your own copy each week, or to invite your friends to receive their own Week in Review, sign up here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.