• We’re expecting mostly cloudy skies today, with a high near 57 degrees and a 40 percent chance of showers, mainly after 4 p.m. The wind will be out of the west at 5 to 10 miles per hour, becoming southwest 15 to 20 mph, gusting as high as 40. There will be showers this evening, mainly before 10 p.m., with a low around 34. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 44. There’s a slight chance of snow before 10 a.m. Wednesday, then a 50 percent chance of rain, with the high temperature near 42.
• Listen in here to this weekend’s Behind the Headlines on WLIW-FM, where Beacon editor Beth Young joined a great crew of local journalists to talk about how the local Ukrainian community is helping their families at home; the races for New York Governor and the First Congressional District and affordable housing.
• Greenport Civic is organizing a discussion on affordable housing this Sunday, March 13 at 3 p.m. at Holy Trinity Church at 768 Main Street in Greenport with East Hampton Director of Housing & Community Development Tom Ruhle and Tanya Palmore of the North Fork Housing Alliance. All are welcome.
• Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County’s Master Gardeners Spring Gardening School has sprouted this spring into a three-part package, “Spring Garden Trio,” which includes a virtual keynote program, the annual spring gardening school and in-person workshops on three Saturdays this spring. Read More.
• Suffolk County reported 93 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, March 5, with 1.6 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 87 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 11 of them in ICU. There was one new fatality in Suffolk on Saturday, bringing the death toll here to 4,344 people since March of 2020.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:42 a.m., 1:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:16 p.m.
Greenport: 1:19 a.m., 1:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:10 a.m., 2:41 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:14 a.m., 1:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:41 a.m., 3:07 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:48 a.m., 3:14 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:20 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:29 a.m., 10:49 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:31 a.m., 1:59 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:39 a.m., 1:07 p.m.
Greenport: 2:08 a.m., 2:36 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:55 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:03 a.m., 2:31 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:30 a.m., 3:58 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:37 a.m., 4:05 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:40 a.m., 1:07 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:16 a.m., 11:33 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.