• We’re expecting rain today, heavy at times, with patchy fog after 10 a.m. and a high temperature near 56 degrees. It will be breezy, with an east wind 20 to 24 miles per hour. Tonight, we’re expecting showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 5 a.m. and a low around 53 degrees. Tomorrow will be mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 66 degrees and Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 61 degrees.
• Congressman Lee Zeldin has reintroduced former Congressman Tim Bishop’s bill to keep the federal government from having to sell Plum Island to the highest bidder. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Today is the first day of brush and leaf pickup in Southampton and Southold towns. More information is online here.
• Cupsogue Beach County Park in Westhampton will be opening Memorial Day Weekend, said Suffolk County officials this weekend. The county is working with the concessionaire to provide temporary restrooms and a mobile concession stand after the concession there burned down last September. The beach will be open for lifeguard-supervised swimming.
• Blues guitarist and harmonica player Jim Turner will be the featured performer at the East End Opry tonight at Fresh in Bridgehampton. More information is online here.
• Birders from the North Fork Audubon are meeting at the Office Max parking lot in Riverhead at 8 a.m. tomorrow to head off to Wildwood State Park in Wading River to search for early migrating birds. More information is online here.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of this morning. Get your own free copy, or help your friends get their own free copy each week by signing up here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.