Good Morning!

• We’re expecting rain today, with a high temperature near 49 degrees and a northeast wind around 15 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of rain this evening, mainly before 8 p.m., with skies gradually clearing and a low around 40. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 56. There’s a 70 percent chance of rain Sunday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 53.

• Roughly 16.7 percent of Long Island residents in a random survey conducted by New York State had antibodies to the Covid-19 coronavirus, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Thursday morning. “If that in fact turns out to be the approximate number, there are just a huge number of people who have had the virus who didn’t know they had it — either they were asymptomatic or they assumed they had some other illness,” said Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone in his Thursday afternoon press briefing. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• Suffolk County is seeing about a 53 percent positive rate at its Covid-19 hotspot testing facilities in immigrant and low income communities throughout the county, said Mr. Bellone on Thursday, compared with 40 percent countywide.

• New York State Attorney General Letitia James announced Thursday that her office is opening up a hotline “where residents, families, or members of the public can share complaints about nursing homes that have not provided required communications with families about COVID-19 diagnoses or fatalities.” Individuals can file confidential complaints about nursing homes to the OAG online or by calling 833.249.8499.

•The Southold Lions Club. will be holding a food drive this Saturday, April 25 and Sunday, April 26 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Southold IGA on the Main Road in Southold. All Donations will be distributed to local food pantries. Any questions, please call Judi Perez at 631.255.8149.

• The weekend is almost here, and there are a few great local entertainment options online. Suffolk County Libraries are sponsoring a Facebook live concert of original songs and classic roots tunes with Gene Casey of The Lone Sharks this evening at 7 p.m.

• The Sag Harbor Cinema Arts Center is continuously adding to its online series, Sag Harbor Cinema@Home, with great first-run movies available to stream online throughout the crisis.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

April 24
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:46 a.m., 11:54 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:54 a.m., 11:02 p.m.
Greenport: 12:23 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:43 a.m., 1:14 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:18 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:16 a.m., 1:45 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:23 a.m., 1:52 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:44 a.m., 10:48 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:53 a.m., 8:57 p.m.

April 25
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:28 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:36 a.m., 11:39 p.m.
Greenport: 12:31 a.m., 1:05 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:18 a.m., 1:52 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:26 a.m., 1 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:53 a.m., 2:27 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2 a.m., 2:34 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:21 a.m., 11:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:30 a.m., 9:27 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: