• It will be mostly sunny today, with a high near 63 degrees and a south wind 6 to 11 miles per hour. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers tonight, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. There’s an 80 percent chance of showers and possibly a thunderstorm tomorrow, when we’re expecting a high near 54 degrees. Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 58.
• The effort to preserve Plum Island could get a shot in the arm this Thursday, April 28, when Congressman Lee Zeldin says he expects a bill he introduced to halt the sale of the island to be marked up and voted out of committee for a vote on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• We’re big fans here at Beacon headquarters of seeing kids draw pretty pictures of trees, of picking up litter, and of planting native gardens, but for some reason this Earth Day none of these things seemed like the right thing to do for Mom Earth. So, here’s The Beacon’s official position on climate change instead.
• Residents of Peconic Landing were as excited and antsy in their seats as a bunch of graduating high school kids at a ceremony last Thursday morning celebrating the grand opening of a major expansion to the continuing care retirement community. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association has proposed a “doable, affordable and immediate” fix for the intersection at the big curve in the Main Road at the intersection with Love Lane and Old Sound Avenue. But now, the state DOT will have to weigh in. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association will also host a public forum on the proposed Sports East Fitness project on the Main Road tonight, April 25 at 6:30 p.m. at the Mattituck American Legion Hall. All are welcome to attend. More information is online here.
• Deputy Suffolk County Police Commissioner Risco Mention-Lewis will discuss the Council on Thought and Action, a peer support group she’s started in communities throughout Long Island, at the Thinking Forward Lecture Series at the Bridgehampton Child Care & Recreation Center tonight, April 25 at 7 p.m. More information is online here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.