• There was a freeze warning in effect across the East End last night. Hopefully you haven’t planted anything that’s not cold-hardy out there yet! Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 44 but wind chill values between 10 and 20 early. We’ll see a northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south 11 to 16 mph in the afternoon. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers overnight tonight, when we’re expecting the temperature to rise to 46 degrees by 2 a.m. We’re expecting fog and rain tomorrow, with a high near 60 and new precipitation between three quarters and one inch. Friday will be partly sunny, with a high near 49 and a 20 percent chance of morning showers.
• After about nine months gestating a report on alternatives to help control the tick population on the North Fork, Southold’s Tick Working Group has come to the same conclusion as the town board had before them: education and culling of the North Fork’s growing deer herd are the best solutions to the problem. The Beacon’s full report is online here.
• Journalist Robert MacNeil of the MacNeil-Lehrer NewsHour will be the guest speaker tonight at Writers Speak Wednesdays in the Radio Lounge at Stony Brook Southampton, beginning at 7 p.m. More information is online here. [Free] The Beacon’s full literary listings are online here.
• Terra Sangue Mare performs “Six Puppets at Jerusalem,” a folk opera, at the Montauk Library tonight at 7:30 p.m. [Free]
• Spring brush and leaf pickup begins in some towns and villages on the East End next week. More information is online here.
• Riverside Rediscovered hosts their Monthly Meetup at their Peconic Avenue headquarters tomorrow night, April 7, at 6:30 p.m. This week, Tevor Cross from Hudson River Health Care and Sean McLean from Renaissance Downtowns will be the guest speakers. More information is online here.
• Suffolk County Community College veterans are hosting a benefit screening of the film “Soldier Ride” at The Suffolk Theater in Riverhead tomorrow night, April 7. Doors open at 5 p.m. and the film begins at 6:30 p.m. More information is online here. [$15]
• Looking ahead to the weekend, virtuoso guitarist Glenn Roth will be at the Jamesport Meetinghouse this Friday at 7:30p.m. [$10] and the Miró Quartet will perform at the Bridgehampton Presbyterian Church as part of the Bridgehampton Chamber Music Festival this Saturday at 6 p.m. [$40] The Beacon’s full music listings are online here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.