Pictured Above: The Calm Before, Thursday evening, New Suffolk
• We’re expecting partly sunny skies today, with a high temperature near 74 degrees and a north wind around 17 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 57. Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 76 and Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 78.
• As Hurricane Lee promises storm surge and coastal flooding here this weekend, Southampton Town has declared a state of emergency to protect barrier beaches and East Hampton Town has closed its ocean beaches to swimming. Read our continuing coverage.
• After more than four months of debate, the Southold Town Board agreed unanimously Tuesday evening to set a Sept. 26 public hearing on the town’s Community Housing Plan, which is required in order for the town to use the money in a new Community Housing Fund approved by a large majority of voters last fall. Read More.
• All over the East End, people are jumping into action this weekend to celebrate International Coastal Cleanup Day by cleaning a seasons-worth of debris off our local beaches and celebrating the Surfrider Foundation’s work. Read more in our sister publication, the Peconic Bathtub.
• Sag Harbor’s annual HarborFest celebration of the village’s nautical history will be held this weekend. Here’s a full schedule of events.
• The Suffolk County Historical Society Museum in Riverhead will hold an opening reception for “Between the Bay and the Sound: A North Fork Family Album,” North Fork family photographs from the 1860s through the 1960s, on Saturday at 1 p.m. Here are more details.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:51 a.m., 11:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:59 a.m., 10:16 p.m.
Greenport: 11:28 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: Midnight, 12:20 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:23 a.m., 11:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:30 a.m., 12:50 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:37 a.m., 12:57 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10 a.m., 10:05 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:09 a.m., 8:14 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:28 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:36 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
Greenport: 12:05 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:36 a.m., 12:54 p.m.
Sag Harbor: Noon
New Suffolk: 1:07 a.m., 1:27 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:14 a.m., 1:34 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:33 a.m., 10:37 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:42 a.m., 8:46 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.