This Morning’s Bulletin — 5.1.19

The new cows on the North Road, Southold.

Good Morning!

• There’s a 20 percent chance of showers after noon today, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 52 degrees and a southeast wind 6 to 10 miles per hour. We’re expecting a 50 percent chance of showers overnight, with patchy fog after midnight and a low around 48. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers Thursday, mainly before noon, with cloudy skies and a high near 55. Light and variable wind becoming east 5 to 10 mph in the morning. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers Friday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 59.

• This May, for the fourth time, cultural institutions throughout Sag Harbor are celebrating their village with the Sag Harbor Cultural Heritage Festival, this year to be held the weekend of May 3 through May 5. More details are online here.

• May is National Asthma & Allergy Awareness Month, and Eastern Long Island hospital is holding two community programs this week to raise awareness about these prevalent health problems. They will hold a forum on food allergies, sensitivity and intolerance tomorrow, May 2 at 6:15 p.m. at the Peconic Lane Recreation Center. The event includes free refreshments, snacks and a raffle. On Friday, May 3, Dr. James M. Rubon will discuss diagnosis and treatment of asthma and allergies in a program at 11 a.m. at the Southold Senior Center at 750 Pacific Street in Mattituck. For more information and to register for either program, call ELIH’s Foundation Office at 631.477.5164.

• Gene Casey of The Lone Sharks is this Friday’s Songwriter’s Share performer at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the South Fork. This spring he will be playing to benefit Turtle Rescue of the Hamptons. Tickets are $20 and the concert begins at 7:30 p.m. More details are online here.

• Southampton Town will hold an Earth Day festival this Saturday, May 4 in Good Ground Park in Hampton Bays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. More details are online here.

• In this month’s Between the Lines, columnist Tim Kelly muses about his lack of understanding of most sports

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

May 1
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:27 a.m., 8:47 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:35 a.m., 7:55 p.m.
Greenport: 9:04 a.m., 9:24 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:52 a.m., 10:11 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:59 a.m., 9:19 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:26 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:33 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:24 a.m., 7:51 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:33 a.m., 6 p.m.

May 2
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:07 a.m., 9:25 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:15 a.m., 8:33 p.m.
Greenport: 9:44 a.m., 10:02 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:36 a.m., 10:50 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:39 a.m., 9:57 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:06 a.m., 11:24 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:13 a.m., 11:31 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:08 a.m., 8:30 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:17 a.m., 6:39 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young

Beth Young has been covering the East End since the 1990s. In her spare time, she runs around the block, tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: