• We’re expecting increasing clouds throughout the day today, with a high temperature near 68 degrees and a west wind 8 to 11 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 50. Tuesday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 71 and Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 76.
• Riverhead was the site of two peaceful protests Sunday afternoon over the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, which has sparked riots and demonstrations across the country. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• As New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said Friday that the state may fast track the timeline for some businesses to reopen, local governments in Riverhead and Greenport are working on innovative solutions to allow more open-air space for businesses this summer. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The League of Women Voters of the Hamptons, Shelter Island & North Fork will hold two debates via Zoom in early June. The League’s congressional primary debate will be held on Monday, June 1 at 7 p.m. and the New York State Senate debate will be held on Monday, June 8 at 7 p.m. Both will be aired on Southampton’s SEA-TV, which can be accessed through Southampton Town’s website, and will be posted on YouTube by SEA-TV. More details are online here.
• Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone reported Sunday that 111 new people had tested positive for Covid-19 in the prior 24 hours. “We certainly like to see a number less than that,” said Mr. Bellone, who said that number had been less than 100 in recent days. He also reported there were 269 Covid-19 patients hospitalized in the county, 74 of them in ICU, both of which were a decrease of six in the prior 24 hours. Mr. Bellone reported 24 people had been discharged from the hospital in the prior 24 hours, and there had been nine more deaths, bringing the total number of deaths to 1,901.
• Court employees throughout Suffolk County began returning to work on Friday, and we expect more information shortly on when court proceedings will begin again.
• Today is the seventh anniversary of the launch of our website. We’re celebrating by eating a big box of asparagus. You can help us celebrate by supporting our print edition, which hit newsstands today, and supports much of the work we do!
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.