• Do what you can to stay cool today. We’re expecting sunny skies, with a high near 90 degrees and a southwest wind 6 to 10 miles per hour. The DEC has issued an air quality advisory from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. today, and is asking people to not engage in strenuous outdoor activity. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 64. There’s a 20 percent chance of afternoon showers and thunderstorms Tuesday, but otherwise it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 74.
• Our volunteer fire service on the East End is aging, and young people are not refilling the ranks when older firefighters die or retire. This is a cry echoing in firehouses from Orient to Montauk and everywhere in between, as we remember many local heroes this week. Read The Beacon’s full story online here.
• Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor is hosting a Trivia Night tonight, hosted by quiz master Paul Johnson, to raise funds for the family of John Jermain Memorial Library Children’s Librarian Sue Farrell, who died last month after a battle with aggressive lung cancer. Tickets are $30 in advance or $40 at the door and the event runs from 6 to 10 p.m.
• The East Marion Community Association will hear a presentation on East Marion’s influence on local artists and receive an update on traffic at Lavender by the Sea at their 10 a.m. meeting this Saturday, June 17 at 10 a.m. at the East Marion Firehouse. More details are online here.
• The League of Women Voters of the Hamptons will host a special discussion on “Judging in the Hamptons” next Monday, June 19 at 7 p.m. at Bridgehampton’s Hampton Library. More details are online here.
• Southold Town’s Office of Emergency Management is planning a public forum on emergency preparedness next Wednesday, June 21 at 7 p.m. at the Peconic Lane Community Center. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:19 a.m., 12:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:05 p.m.
Greenport: 12:56 a.m., 1:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:39 a.m., 2:13 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:51 a.m., 1:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:18 a.m., 2:56 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:25 a.m., 3:03 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:55 a.m., 9:58 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1 a.m., 1:41 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:08 a.m., 12:49 p.m.
Greenport: 1:37 a.m., 2:18 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:18 a.m., 2:54 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:32 a.m., 2:13 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:59 a.m., 3:40 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:06 a.m., 3:47 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:37 a.m., 10:38 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.