This Morning’s Bulletin — 7.14.15

The oyster boat, Cutchogue Harbor
The Peconic Gold oyster boat, Cutchogue Harbor

Good Morning!

• We’re expecting a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms today, mainly after 10 a.m. Otherwise, it’s expected to be mostly cloudy, with a high near 80 degrees and a southeast wind around 8 miles per hour. There’s a 60 percent chance of scattered showers tonight, with a possible thunderstorm after midnight. Tomorrow, we’re also expecting a 40 percent chance of showers. Thursday and Friday are expected to be sunny, with highs near 80 degrees.

• East End Congressman Lee Zeldin has harsh words for the Iran nuclear deal reached this morning: “The Iranians cannot be trusted and were not negotiating in good faith. If weapons inspectors don’t have unfettered access to observe Iran’s nuclear program, compliance will never be met,” he said in a statement this morning. The full text of his remarks are online here.

• Harper Lee’s much anticipated “Go Set A Watchman” hit bookstores all over the world at 12:01 this morning. While two million copies have been printed, local bookstores aren’t betting on having any in stock by the end of the day, but they have come up with some innovative ways to celebrate the release. BookHampton in Southampton and East Hampton is offering 15 percent off to people who order the book today from their stores or online at www.bookhampton.com. Their East Hampton location can be reached at 631.324.4939 and their Southampton location can be reached at 631.283.0270. The Beacon’s full literary listings are online here.

• The Peconic Estuary Program and Aerial Fitness are hosting paddleboard tours this summer to help the public learn about local marine life and habitats. Their first class will be held tomorrow, Wednesday, July 15 from 6 to 7 p.m. on Red Creek Pond in Hampton Bays. More information is online here.

• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss the downtown Montauk beach stabilization project, grants for fisheries, Three Mile Harbor and Lake Montauk and law enforcement issues in Montauk at their 10 a.m. work session this morning at the Montauk Firehouse. Their full agenda is online here.

• The Southold Town Board will discuss beach-nesting birds, helicopter noise, draft local laws on short term rentals and aquaculture and a prospective pickleball court at their 9 a.m. work session this morning. Their evening meeting tonight will be at 7:30 p.m. The full agenda for both meetings is online here.

• The Southampton Town Board will hold public hearings on several CPF acquisitions, the historic landmark designation of the Reverend Nathaniel Fanning homestead on Flanders Road and the draft Southampton Water Protection Plan at their 1 p.m. meeting this afternoon. Their full agenda is online here.

• The Peconic Land Trust will host a seed saving workshop at 10 a.m. today at Quail Hill Farm in Amagansett. Matthew Goldfarb and Petra Page-Mann, co-owners and farmers of Fruition Seeds in the Finger Lakes, will discuss why regionally adapted seeds are important to the future of our food supply, and how to grow, harvest and store your own seeds. More information is online here.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

 

Beth Young

Beth Young has been covering the East End since the 1990s. In her spare time, she runs around the block, tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Please prove you're human: