This Morning’s Bulletin — 7.13.15
• Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 81 degrees and a calm wind becoming southeast 5 to 9 miles per hour in the morning. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms tonight, mainly after midnight, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy tonight, with a low around 67 degrees and a southeast wind 3 to 5 miles per hour. Tomorrow, there’s a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, and otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 79 degrees and an east wind 7 to 9 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Wednesday, and Thursday and Friday are expected to clear up, with highs in the low 80s.
• This Saturday, down on Highway Behind the Pond in East Hampton Village, a mass of more than 250 protesters, many of them educators from New York City, gathered along a street lined with mysterious hedgerows. They were there to let Governor Andrew Cuomo know that they knew that he was attending a $5,000-per-plate fundraiser at the home of hedge fund billionaire Daniel Loeb. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Two artists putting together public projects that will help beautify the area surrounding Riverhead’s River and Roots Community Garden are looking for donations for their projects, which will be unveiled at East End Arts’ JumpstART! on August 7. Linda Purrazzella will be creating a stone mosaic pathway to the community garden and Samantha Neukirch plans to create a digital marine life mural on the wall behind the playground just west of the garden. More information on the program of events for JumpstART! is online here.
• The Flanders Fire Department and the Flanders/Riverside/Northampton Community Association will hold their semi-annual blood drive at the Flanders Firehouse at 19 Firehouse Lane today from 2 to 8 p.m. To schedule an appointment through the New York Blood Center, click here or call 1.800.933.2566.
• The Lone Sharks will be performing on the Montauk Green this evening at 6:30 p.m. and the Swingtime Big Band gets in gear at Greenport’s Mitchell Park tonight at 7:30 p.m., kicking off yet another week filled with free music in parks throughout the East End. Our full free outdoor summer concert series listings are online here.
• “Field of Dreams” is the featured movie tonight in the continuing series of free outdoor movies on the Great Lawn in Westhampton Beach. The movie is expected to begin after dark between 8 and 9 p.m. There are plenty of other chances in the upcoming weeks to catch a movie in the great outdoors. Our full film listings are online here.
• Tickets to the East Hampton Library’s annual “Authors Night,” being held this year on Aug. 8, just went on sale. They’re available online here.
• Speaking of big events, there’s just one week left to buy tickets to the Quogue Wildlife Refuge’s annual “Wild Night for Wildlife,” which will be held this coming Saturday, July 18. More information is online here.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.