Sunset Beach, Shelter Island
Sunset Beach at the appropriate hour, Shelter Island

Good Morning!

• Today will be sunny, with a high near 81 degrees with a west wind around 10 miles per hour. Tonight is expected to be clear, with a low around 55 degrees and a northwest wind 3 to 6 miles per hour. Thursday, we’re expecting a 20 percent chance of rain after 2 p.m., but otherwise increasing clouds, with a high near 80. Friday, there’s a 30 percent chance of rain before noon, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 76. There’s a 30 percent chance of rain on Saturday and a 40 percent chance of rain on Sunday, with highs this weekend in the low 70s.

• In the wake of three major fish kills, dead turtles likely poisoned by red tide algae washing up along the shores of Flanders Bay and worsening news about harmful algae blooms in Long Island bays, the New York League of Conservation Voters held a conference Tuesday morning at Stony Brook University to discuss just what can be done to solve the crisis. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• The Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association hosts two discussions at their meeting tonight: “What Is The Future of Land-Use Planning in Mattituck and Laurel?” and “What Do You Want The Entrance to Mattituck To Look Like?” The Civic Association will also hold its first official election of officers. The meeting will be held at the Mattituck American Legion Hall tonight from 6:30 to 9 p.m. More information is online here.

• Tonight is the first night of Southold’s Summer Showcase Concert Series at Silversmith’s Corner at the gazebo at the corner of Main Road and Youngs Avenue. Miles to Dayton performs their original folk rock tonight beginning at 7:30 p.m.  More information on this summer’s selection of free outdoor concerts is online here.

• The Art Barge in Napeague hosts a conversation with Jack Lenor Larsen – Internationally known textile designer, master weaver, gardener, collector and founder of East Hampton’s Long House Reserve — at 6 p.m. tonight. More information is online here.

• The Floyd Memorial Library hosts a “Community Gift Circle,” An Experiment in New Economics with Margaret Rose de Cruz tonight at 6 p.m. The Community Gift Circle invites communities to meet their needs without money. More information is online here.

• The results are in! I came in 989th in the Shelter Island 10K, and they even gave me a medal! Here’s our report from the first-ever Shelter Island 10K run this past Saturday in the rain.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

 

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: