• We’re expecting sunny skies today, with a high temperature near 84 degrees and a west wind 5 to 8 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 66 and a southwest wind around 6 miles per hour, becoming calm after midnight. Friday will be sunny, with a high near 88. There’s an 80 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Saturday, with a high temperature near 82 degrees and a southwest wind 10 to 14 mile per hour.
• The Southold Town Board may vote as soon as July 5 on a proposed series of code changes limiting the size of houses that can be built in this rural township at the end of the North Fork. Read More.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss solar power, anaerobic digesters, cannabis legislation, alcohol policy and zoning issues at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda, here’s background information on the discussion items, and the meeting can be viewed live here.
• Suffolk County reported 366 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, June 27, with 7.9 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 173 people hospitalized with the virus, with 43 percent of them hospitalized due to Covid. Ten of the hospitalized patients were in ICU. The county reported four new Covid fatalities on Monday, bringing the death toll her eto 4,480 people since March of 2020.
• Pianofest in the Hamptons will bring international prize-winning young pianists to the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center this evening at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased online here.
• Alive on 25, a street festival with live music on multiple stages, local craft beverages, food trucks, vendors, artisans and family activities, returns to downtown Riverhead tomorrow from 5 to 9:30 p.m. Admission is free, and there will be fireworks at 9 p.m. Visit downtownriverhead.org for more info.
• Peconic Bay Vineyards at 31320 Main Road in Cutchogue will hold an All-American BBQ and Fireworks Show to celebrate the 4th of July tomorrow, July 1 from 5 to 10 p.m. There will be music, a barbecue and fireworks, with partial proceeds to benefit the Cutchogue Fire Department. Tickets cost $50 to $75 and blankets and chairs are encouraged. Find more info at peconicbayvineyards.com.
Today’s high tides are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:46 a.m., 11:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:54 a.m., 11:05 p.m.
Greenport: 12:23 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:39 a.m., 1:14 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:18 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:13 a.m., 1:45 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:20 a.m., 1:52 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:49 a.m., 10:47 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:58 a.m., 8:56 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.