• It will be mostly cloudy today, with a high temperature near 87 degrees and a west wind 5 to 7 miles per hour. We’re expecting scattered showers and thunderstorms before midnight this evening, then isolated showers between midnight and 3 a.m., with mostly cloudy skies overnight and a low around 64. Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 79 and Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 71.
• Our Climate Local Now columnist Mark Haubner of the North Fork Environmental Council has been inspired recently by how we can all take the future of our climate into our own hands. Read More.
• The North Fork Environmental Council will hold a Zoom program with environmentalist Kevin McAllister, “An Overview of Coastal Processes, Interventions and Adaptation” this evening at 6:30 p.m. Register ASAP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Here’s more info.
• There’s still time to get tickets to the North Fork Community Theatre’s summer gala, to be held in two seatings at Veteran’s Beach in Mattituck this Saturday to benefit the all-volunteer theater’s capital campaign. Here’s more info.
• There’s currently a blood emergency in effect across the nation, and the Greenport American Legion at 102 Third Street hosts a New York Blood Center Community Blood Drive tomorrow, June 10 from 1 to 7 p.m. Appointments are recommended and can be made online here.
• Suffolk County reported 32 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, June 7, with 0.5 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 68 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 18 of them in ICU. The county reported one new fatality from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 3,398 people.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:08 a.m., 10:19 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:16 a.m., 9:27 p.m.
Greenport: 10:45 a.m., 10:56 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:44 a.m., 11:48 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:40 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:07 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:14 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:14 a.m., 9:22 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:23 a.m., 7:31 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:51 a.m., 11 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:59 a.m., 10:08 p.m.
Greenport: 11:28 a.m., 11:37 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:24 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:23 a.m., 11:32 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:18 a.m., 12:50 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:25 a.m., 12:57 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:54 a.m., 9:57 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:03 a.m., 8:06 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.