• Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 84 degrees and a 40 percent chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 9 a.m. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms this evening before 9 p.m., with partly cloudy skies and a low around 67. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 85 and Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 81.
• There’s a high risk of rip currents on the South Shore’s ocean beaches today, as ocean conditions remain unsettled after Friday’s surprise Tropical Storm Fay.
• Scientist Nancy Goroff announced Friday that she had won the Democratic nomination and will face Republican incumbent Lee Zeldin in the November general election for the East End’s First Congressional District. Mr. Zeldin didn’t waste any time in going on the attack. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Suffolk County reported 41 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending July 12, with no new fatalities, 40 people hospitalized (a decrease of 10) and 14 patients in ICU (an increase of six), with two new hospital admissions and 13 new hospital discharges. Suffolk’s death toll now stands at 1,993 people.
• The North Fork Environmental Council and North Fork Audubon will host a live Zoom discussion with Suffolk County Legislator Kara Hahn, on “The Story of Plastic” this Wednesday, July 15 at 6:30 pm. To register for the discussion send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.