• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 91 degrees and heat index values as high as 96, with a west wind 7 to 9 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 21. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 66. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. Saturday, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 86. There’s a 50 percent chance of afternoon showers and thunderstorms Sunday, with mostly cloudy skies throughout the day and a high near 81.
• Our columnist, Tim Kelly, is a grandfather again. But the Kelly family childbirth saga followed his son to DC. Tim’s latest column is online here.
• Mattituck High School’s All-Class Reunion starts tonight with a party at The Crazy Fork, and continues tomorrow at Veteran’s Beach. More details are online here.
• The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation is looking for volunteers to help pull invasive water primrose out of the Peconic River next Thursday, July 27 at 9 a.m. Volunteers will meet at Baits & Barrels, the former Fisherman’s Deli, at 1315 West Main Street in Riverhead. Please bring waders if you have them, canoes, paddles and life jackets, sunscreen, lunch and water. For more details, email email@example.com.
• Next Sunday, July 30 is Jordan’s Run in memory of Sag Harbor’s Lance Corporal Jordan Haerter, who was killed in a firefight in Ramadi, Iraq in April of 2008. More details on how to sign up for the run are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our events calendar, online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:24 a.m., 8:52 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:32 a.m., 8 p.m.
Greenport: 9:01 a.m., 9:29 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:05 a.m., 10:24 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:56 a.m., 9:24 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:23 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:30 a.m., 10:58 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:52 a.m., 6:16 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:17 a.m., 9:44 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:25 a.m., 8:52 p.m.
Greenport: 9:54 a.m., 10:21 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:01 a.m., 11:19 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:49 a.m., 10:16 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:16 a.m., 11:43 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:23 a.m., 11:50 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6″50 a.m., 7:10 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.