• We’re expecting patchy fog before 11 a.m. today, but otherwise it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 91 and a calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 7 miles per hour in the afternoon. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight, with a low around 71. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 90, and Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 84.
• The air outside will once again be terrible today. We are under an ozone health advisory again today from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and the Suffolk County Health Department is recommending that anyone with weak respiratory systems and children, as well as athletes and people who work outside, limit the time they spend today outdoors.
• While South Fork State Assemblyman Fred Thiele mulls a run for Congress in 2018, the 22-year veteran state legislator is still dreaming about fixes for dysfunction in Albany. He talked a little bit about his goals for the next couple years at Tuesday’s meeting of the Progressive East End Reformers in Bridgehampton. Read The Beacon’s full account online here.
• In the dog days of summer, you’ll be happy if you’ve planted drought-tolerant plants. Our Gardenwise columnist, Susan Tito, explains how in this month’s column, online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will hold a special meeting at 10 a.m. this morning to vote to rent an carbon filter for a year from the Suffolk County Water Authority for the Hampton Bays Water District, followed by a 10:30 a.m. work session, where they will discuss third party billing for the Flanders, Riverside & Northampton Volunteer Ambulance Corps and swear in new police officers.
• The East Hampton Town Board will hold public hearings on numerous Community Preservation Fund acquisitions at their 6:30 p.m. meeting tonight. Their full agenda is online here.
• Today’s Riverhead Town Board work session has been cancelled.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:30 a.m., 8 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:38 a.m., 7:08 p.m.
Greenport: 8:07 a.m., 8:37 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:06 a.m., 9:27 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:02 a.m., 8:32 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:29 a.m., 9:59 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:36 a.m., 10:06 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:49 a.m., 5:17 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:24 a.m., 8:52 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:32 a.m., 8 p.m.
Greenport: 9:01 a.m., 9:29 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:05 a.m., 10:24 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:56 a.m., 9:24 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:23 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:30 a.m., 10:58 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:52 a.m., 6:16 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.