• We’re expecting showers and thunderstorms this afternoon, mainly after 2 p.m. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Otherwise, we’re expecting partly sunny skies, with a high temperature near 88 degrees and a southwest wind around 16 miles per hour. Showers and thunderstorms are expected to continue overnight, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 69. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 85, and Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 86.
• After months of debate over whether they should put a referendum on this November’s ballot to create a half percent real estate transfer tax to fund affordable housing, the Southold Town Board has agreed to move forward with the possibility of a vote this November. Read More.
• The Horton Point Lighthouse, tucked away on a cliff in Southold overlooking the Long Island Sound, is one of the less-well-known lighthouses on the East End, and the story of its first female lighthouse keeper, Stella Prince, has until this year gone largely untold. That’s changed. Read More.
• The Vendettas play songs of the 50s at Greenport’s Dancing in the Park in Mitchell Park this evening from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
• Suffolk County reported 635 new cases of Covid-19 on Friday, July 22, with 9.6 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 217 people hospitalized with the virus, with 48 percent of them hospitalized due to Covid and 23 patients in ICU. The county reported no new fatalities from the virus, and the death toll here stands at 4,504 people since March of 2020.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:28 a.m., 8:47 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:36 a.m., 7:55 p.m.
Greenport: 9:05 a.m., 9:24 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:01 a.m., 10:12 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9 a.m., 9:19 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:27 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:34 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:30 a.m., 7:47 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:39 a.m., 5:56 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:11 a.m., 9:30 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:19 a.m., 8:38 p.m.
Greenport: 9:48 a.m., 10:07 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:47 a.m., 10:56 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:43 a.m., 10:02 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:10 a.m., 11:29 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:17 a.m., 11:36 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:19 a.m., 8:31 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:28 a.m., 6:40 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.