Before dawn at the New Suffolk boat ramp
Before dawn at the New Suffolk boat ramp

Good Morning!

• We’re expecting a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. today, but otherwise it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 86 and a light south wind increasing to 5 to 9 miles per hour in the morning. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight, then a 60 percent chance of rain tomorrow, when it will be cloudy, with a high near 79. Saturday is expected to be mostly sunny, with a high near 83.

• This November, the five East End towns are expected to have a proposition on the ballot extending the Community Preservation Fund two percent real estate transfer tax to 2050, with an amendment that would allow 20 percent of the money to be used for water quality projects. As part of the change, towns are required to come up with plans for what to do with the money. East Hampton has recently unveiled their plan, which will be up for public hearing Aug. 4. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• Riverhead Town is asking customers within its water district to refrain from watering their lawns between midnight and 8:00 a.m. and instead to water only in the early evening hours up until midnight. This request will be in effect until Labor Day. Last week, the town urged residents of the water district to adopt odd/even watering schedules to conserve water during the current heat wave.

• The Suffolk County Health Department will be hosting a community Narcan opioid antidote training and prescription drug disposal workshop at the Sag Harbor Fire Department on Brick Kiln Road on Aug. 9 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Attendees must RSVP to County Legislator Bridget Fleming’s Office at 631.852.8400 or

Governments Get to Work

• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss JumpStart, the Salvation Army site plan, the EPCAL recreation trail and Recreation Department capital improvements at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.

• The Southampton Town Board will discuss a possible zone change for Georgica Green Ventures’ Speonk Commons affordable housing project at their 11 a.m. work session at town hall this morning.

Out & About

• The second installment of Riverhead’s “Alive on 25” street fair and music festival will be held on Main Street in downtown Riverhead tonight from 5 to 11 p.m. More information is online here.

• Jeff the Bubble Guy will host a special free bubble show for kids at the Southampton Arts Center this afternoon at 4:30 p.m. More information is online here. [Free]

• Caroline Rob Zaleski, author of “Long Island Modernism” will discuss how she discovered Long Island as a veritable laboratory of modern architecture in a special benefit at the Southampton Historical Museum’s Rogers Mansion this evening at 5:30 p.m. More information is online here. [$95-$120]

• Birder MaryLaura Lamont will give a talk and slide show on her 2015 discovery of a nesting pair of bald eagles at the William Floyd Estate, the first documentation of bald eagles at the historic site since the 1930s, at the Suffolk County Historical Museum tonight at 6 p.m. More information is online here. [$5/Members free]

• The North Fork Community Theatre’s Youth on Stage production of “Urinetown” continues tonight at 8 p.m. [$20], legendary surf guitarist Dick Dale plays The Stephen Talkhouse tonight at 8 p.m. [$55-$70], Felix Caviliere’s Rascals play the Westhampton Beach PAC tonight at 8 p.m. [$65-$85] and the Upright Citizens Touring Brigade bring their improv show to Guild Hall in East Hampton tonight at 8 p.m. [$20-$45]. You can find out more about what’s going on around the East End in our events calendar any time, online here.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

July 28
MTK Hbr: 4:26 a.m., 5:08 p.m.
Orient: 5:27 a.m., 6:09 p.m.
GPT: 5:55 a.m., 6:37 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 5:50 a.m., 6:32 p.m.
S. JPT: 7:24 a.m., 8:06 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 2:29 a.m., 3:03 p.m.

July 29
MTK Hbr: 5:30 a.m., 6:07 p.m.
Orient: 6:31 a.m., 7:08 p.m.
GPT: 6:59 a.m., 7:36 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 6:54 a.m., 7:31 p.m.
S. JPT: 8:28 a.m., 9:05 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 3:33 a.m., 4:06 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.


Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: