• We’re expecting a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. today, and patchy fog early, but otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 86 and light and variable wind becoming east 5 to 9 miles per hour. While the air was nearly saturated yesterday, we’re still expecting humidity to hover around 80 percent today. We’re expecting showers and thunderstorms tonight, increasing after 2 a.m., with heavy rain into Saturday morning. Skies will clear throughout the day Saturday, with a high near 76 degrees. Sunday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 84 and a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 8 a.m.
• The State DEC has issued an ozone health advisory for this afternoon for Long Island, and the Suffolk County Health Department is advising that young children, the elderly, those who exercise or are involved in strenuous outdoor work, and those with pre-existing respiratory or heart problems, limit strenuous outdoor activity. Ozone levels are often elevated after noon through early evening on hot, sunny days.
• Sag Harbor’s “Big Tent” Party for the Park on Long Wharf to raise money for a John Steinbeck Waterfront Park is this Sunday, July 10, beginning at 5 p.m. Advance tickets are $50 for adults and $10 for kids under 16, and tickets at the door are $60 for adults and $15 for kids under 16. More information is online here.
• ‘Tis the season for classic films in the open air. Here’s The Beacon’s cheat sheet for what’s playing (for free) on haywalls, in parks and on the grounds of museums throughout the East End this summer.
• Looking forward to next week, The League of Women Voters of the Hamptons is inviting the community to an open forum on healthcare reform next Monday, July 11 at 7 p.m. at Bridgehampton’s Hampton Library. The program includes the screening of the new documentary “Fix It: Healthcare at the Tipping Point,” followed by a discussion with New York State Assemblyman Fred Thiele on the New York Health Act. More information is online here.
• Also on Monday, July 11, the South Fork Natural History Museum will host a preview and discussion on Mike Ruggiero’s photographic exhibition, “The Last Baymen of Amagansett,” at 7 p.m. The exhibit will open July 17 at Estia’s Little Kitchen on the Bridgehampton-Sag Harbor Turnpike. More information is online here.
• The Beacon’s Events Calendar is always chock full of goings-on around both forks, both this weekend and for the weeks ahead. Browse our listings to be in the know on what’s going on around the East End, and feel free to submit your events to us at email@example.com.
The high tides on the East End for the weekend are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 12:14 a.m., 12:46 p.m.
Orient: 1:15 a.m., 1:47 p.m.
GPT: 1:43 a.m., 2:15 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 1:38 a.m., 2:10 p.m.
S. JPT: 3:12 a.m., 3:44 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 11:07 a.m., 11:15 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 1:03 a.m., 1:37 p.m.
Orient: 2:04 a.m., 2:38 p.m.
GPT: 2:32 a.m., 3:06 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 2:27 a.m., 3:01 p.m.
S. JPT: 4:01 a.m., 4:35 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 11:57 a.m.
MTK Hbr: 1:54 a.m., 2:29 p.m.
Orient: 2:55 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
GPT: 3:23 a.m., 3:58 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 3:18 a.m., 3:53 p.m.
S. JPT: 4:52 a.m., 5:27 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 12:03 a.m., 12:44 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.